I was just reading a list of eight Super Foods you should eat. Not many surprises: Broccoli, Oranges, Spinach or Kale, Whole-Grain Bread, Cantaloupe, Beans (legumes), Watermelon – and Sweet Potatoes! The Sweet Potatoes caught my attention because I had some on hand waiting to be used.
So I went to The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook and found three recipes for Sweet Potatoes: Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries, Spiced Sweet Potato Rounds (also baked), and Sweet Potato Pancakes. I decided to make the Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries. I was planning a meal for four adults and a toddler and thought this would complete the meal nicely.
I had five good size Sweet Potatoes and started cutting them into strips as the recipe instructed. After I have cut up four of them I had two large sheets full of strips and opted against cutting up the fifth one (they’ll never eat all these, I thought). I was wrong. They were such a hit, even with the toddler. So here it is, so that you can enjoy it, too:
Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries
2-3 large (about 1-1/4 pounds) sweet potatoes or yams, cut into wedges or French- fry strips
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Place the prepared sweet potatoes in a large bowl and add the oil and salt.
Mix well with a spoon or clean hands to coat all the fries.
Arrange the fries single layer on a baking sheet or in a glass baking dish.
Bake 45-60 min., stirring every 15 minutes with a spatula to get all sides crispy.
Test fries every 15 minutes to make sure they are crisp.
Note: The cookbook says that this yields 4-6 servings, but from my experience, I’d suggest doubling the batch for 4-5 hungry people!
Hmmm, next time I think I’ll try the Spiced Sweet Potato Rounds…
By the way, do you have a gift-giving event coming up? The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook makes a wonderful Gift of Health, whether it be for a college graduate or a new mom!
The U.S. needs to stop giving money we do not have to other countries, and we need to stop sending our citizens (fathers, sons, brothers, husbands, wives, daughters, and mothers) to be slaughtered or injured unnecessarily. The U.S. debt is currently at $15.6 trillion, or over $50,000 per person.
The last time the U.S. formally declared war was for World War II in 1941. Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya were not formally declared. But look at this chart to see the numbers of deaths and wounded soldiers over the history of the United States. There are often four to 10 times as many soldiers injured as are killed. If we are going to deprive parents of their children, children of their parents, husbands of their wives, wives of their husbands, etc., don't we owe it to the families who will suffer that loss to only send their sons and daughters, mothers and fathers into a real, legitimate war? Dr. Paul is the only president who will honor this serious and sacred responsibility.
The wounds that soldiers return with, from physical limitations to psychological trauma, can last a lifetime, just like the loss of a grown child or parent in combat. Veterans have a much higher rate of suicide. They suffer brain injuries, blindness, and traumatic amputations, and their families suffer. We owe it to the people who chose to defend our country to only risk their lives in the actual defense of the United States.
Dr. Ron Paul is the only candidate, Democrat or Republican, who is a veteran. Dr. Paul saw the horror of war and would only risk American lives overseas if war were formally declared. To whose campaign is 87 percent of the active military contributing? Ron Paul.
That is reason enough to vote for Ron Paul over all others. The U.S. must stop electing politicians who so carelessly devastate American families.
"I love peace, and am anxious that we should give the world still another useful lesson, by showing to them other modes of punishing injuries than by war, which is as much a punishment to the punisher as to the sufferer."
"Nations have recently been led to borrow billions for war; no nation has ever borrowed largely for education. Probably, no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization. We must make our choice; we cannot have both."
Laura Trice, M.D. is the CEO of Laura's Wholesome Junk Food. She is the author of The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook.
I want to ask men to stop interfering with abortion and birth control access and to rewind 2-3 months before most abortions happen and look in the mirror.
Here are your 7 actions. These steps are for you to do yourself, pass on to your sons and talk about with other men. Stop being friends with, spending time with, doing business with or voting for men who do not follow these actions. Within 3 months of men acting upon these 7 principles, there will likely be more than a 90% decrease in abortions.
7. Make a personal commitment today to stop looking at pornography, stop engaging prostitutes and stop visiting strip clubs. Stop spending your time, money and energy viewing women as sources of self-gratification instead of living, sensitive beings. Pornography makes females more susceptible to sexual violence and poor self-care.
6. Make a personal commitment today to stand against sexual violence, rape and incest. Stop participating in it, stop doing nothing about it if you hear someone talking, bragging or joking about it. Stop watching movies that promote it and stop tolerating sexual violence in war, in your home or neighborhood.
5. If you are Christian and have strong views, read this Susan B. Anthony essay and make a commitment today to be a better type of Christian husband. Be a gentle man and treat your wife and daughters kindly, not oppressively. Raise a daughter who will take excellent care of herself with men because she is not conditioned to bullying and oppression from you.
4. Make a personal commitment today not to pressure a woman for sex of any kind when she says, "No," "I don't feel well" or "I'm tired." Women who are scared, tired or sick often give in because they feel "badly" about your suffering. Act like man instead of pressuring her.
3. Make a personal commitment today to know a woman for at least 6 months to one year before having intercourse with her. You will be able to spot the crazies right away. You will like yourself better, have a chance to see if you even like her and may fall in love.
2. Make a personal commitment today not to take advantage of any woman who has been drinking or is impaired. How much satisfaction can you derive from that? Do you want a future rape charge? If she's impaired, her answer is "No" because she can't consent. Make it your personal commitment not to drink at all for the first several months of dating so you can see who she really is.
1. Make a personal commitment today to stop smooth-talking and lying to women to "get in." Stop talking about meeting her family, marrying her and having children with her to seduce her. Stop pretending to like her. Tell her the truth. "I don't like you, I'm looking for sex and I won't call you afterwards." And, if you are going to have intercourse, use condoms properly. About 94% of abortions are preventable by correct birth control usage.
In summary, if you wouldn't hand over your ATM card and personal financial information to a woman (i.e. if you do not both like her and trust her that much), then you shouldn't have intercourse with her. Because if she gets pregnant, she may a) get an abortion, b) claim she was raped (yes, there are women who lie) or c) sue you for child support (yes, there are women who use pregnancy for financial gain and leverage over a man). None of these options sound like wise investments for a man and they are devastating for the baby carelessly created to satisfy a selfish and controllable urge.
If all men in the United States of all religions made a commitment to the 7 principles above, the demand for abortion would virtually disappear overnight. If men guarded their sperm like $100 bills, only sharing it with a trusted, responsible, cherished woman whom they really loved and cared about, abortion would be a non-issue. The need for abortion would be minimal if men committed to being better human beings and held other men to a higher standard.
Until your circle of male influence and you adhere to these 7 steps consistently, women do not want to hear anything further from you about limiting access to birth control or abortion. Stop pointing the finger at women and focus on cleaning up your side of the street.
If you already take these 7 actions, thank you. We need more men like you.
Dr. Ron Paul's ideas about the U.S.'s economy, national defense and our Constitution are as real and solid as ideas had by another famous leader who was also initially not listened to. Winston Churchill saw the danger of Hitler leading Germany long before it became readily apparent. Others wanted to believe that everything was fine and that Hitler was being honest about his intentions. When Rep. Ron Paul talks about what is going on in our country regarding America's finances, the Constitution and corruption, he is telling the truth. It is ugly and scary, but ignoring Hitler didn't result in the problems going away for Europe. Problems have to be faced head on thoughtfully and responsibly. Winston Churchill's unrelenting warnings and leadership were crucial in gathering forces in time to avoid devastation. Ron Paul has an excellent and accurate grasp of our country's issues and has been talking about them for decades.
2. Are major news outlets ever wrong about who will win the presidency and do they ever intentionally mislead us?
Yes and yes. There is a famous photo of President Truman holding a copy of the Chicago Tribune after Truman won a subsequent term. The headline says, "Dewey Defeats Truman." Would major media outlets try to sway and mislead the public in 2012 to discourage you from voting for Ron Paul by discounting or downplaying his ability to win? Sure. A quote from over 150 years ago says it all, "Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see?"
1. Ignore the naysayers - it's their game plan to brainwash you. Vote your conscience.
The best strategy our current President, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich have to chisel away at our belief in the best President for 2012, Ron Paul, is to downplay Dr. Paul's ability to win. Ron Paul is the only candidate who can right the economic and military ship and clear out the Washington political dead wood, which includes our current President and the other Republican candidates. The Rasmussen poll shows Ron Paul as the best candidate to beat our current President. If you want to vote for Ron Paul and believe in his ideas and his integrity, but say, "Well, he'll never win so I won't vote for him", that means that the other guys' tricks worked on you.
Keep the faith in Ron Paul, the U.S. and its Constitution. In Winston Churchill's famous words, "Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."
Laura Trice, M.D.
Independent Writer for HP
Author of The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook
In the mood for a fast, homemade dessert?
This is quick and easy to make a single portion. The Bite-Lettes bring the high quality sweeteners and oils, so all you need to do is sprinkle and bake!
1 apple, cored and sliced, but not peeled
2 Laura’s Wholesome Junk Food Cranberry Breakfast Bite-Lettes
Preheat the oven to 300 F.
Place the apple slices in an over-proof container. Break up the Bite-Lettes over the top of the apple.
Bake for 20-330 minutes, or until soft and slightly caramelized.
Serve warm or cold with Vanilla Ice Cream (p. 109) or Whipped Cream (p,102)
Of course, you can multiply this dessert as many time as you wish in order to share with others!